Live Webinars January – May 2019
Recorded Webinars available through December 31, 2019
Funded through The Audrey Heimler Special Projects Award (AHSPA)
Offered by the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) Public Health SIG
The purpose of this project is to provide an educational opportunity on genetics and genomics in public health and precision medicine to future genetic counseling leaders through a series of webinars that include opportunities to learn from current leaders in public health genetics/genomics, patients and families. These webinars are being developed as part of the Public Health Genetics and Precision Medicine Roles Fellowship, which is funded through the Audrey Heimler Special Projects Award. The first hour of the webinars will be open to all members of NSGC regardless of whether they are participating in the fellowship with an additional 30 minutes of Q&A after the webinar reserved for fellows.
Overall Learning Objectives:
- Illustrate examples of roles of genetics professionals and patient advocates in public health genomics and precision medicine.
- Discuss current and future topics in public health genetics and precision medicine.
- Recognize areas of genetic counseling practice where public health concepts are or can be integrated.
Webinars (60 minutes each)**:
Regional Genetics Networks (RGN)
Wednesday, January 9, 2018 | 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM ET
- Dana Yarbrough, Community Supports Specialist, Assistant Director, Strategic Initiatives, Partnership for People with Disabilities at VCU
- Ed Kloza, MS, Genetics Consultant, New England Regional Genetics Network
Direct-To-Consumer Genetic Testing
Wednesday, February 6, 2019 | 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM ET
- Jill Hagenkord, MD, FCAP, Chief Medical Officer, Color Genomics
Disparities in Genetic Services and Privacy
Tuesday, April 9, 2019 | 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM ET
- Andrea Matthews, Public Health Analyst at HRSA and parent of a child with special health care needs (tentative)
- Carson Martinez, Health Policy Fellow, The Future of Privacy Forum
Precision Medicine and Return of Results
Tuesday, May 14, 2019 | 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM ET
- Marci Schwartz, MS, LGC, Genetic Counselor/Research Coordinator, Geisinger Health System
**Detailed information including learning objectives and call-in information will be emailed prior to each scheduled webinar
The National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) has authorized NSGC Public Health SIG to offer up to 0.4 CEUs or 4 Category 1 contact hours for the activity Genetic Counselors in the Genomic Era--Public Health Genetics and Precision Medicine Roles Webinar Series. The American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) will accept CEUs earned at this program for the purposes of genetic counselor certification and recertification.