Our understanding of the genetic basis of disease advances at a rapid pace. The goal of this course is to share the status of genetic research and clinical knowledge in regards to several common diseases.
Course learning objectives:
- Discuss when genetic testing is appropriate and what testing is appropriate for epilepsy related phenotypes
- Describe benefits genetic testing may have for medical management of epilepsy
- Describe the developmental brain disorder spectrum and the elements required for a behavioral diagnosis of autism.
- Identify which individuals are most appropriate for genetic testing and develop an effective testing strategy.
- Identify appropriate individuals for clinical genetic testing for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Review the benefits and limitations of different testing offerings for Alzheimer’s disease, including direct to consumer genetic testing, and how to recommend appropriate clinical management.
- Identify the clinical and genetic heterogeneity and classification of diabetes mellitus and current state of the science of the etiology of all types.
- Review what information to elicit during a session to identify patients and family members likely to have monogenic diabetes and benefit from genetic testing vs. empiric risk discussion and/or referral to research studies.
Purchase Type Price
- NSGC Member: $75
- Non-member: $100
- Student Member: $40
- Student Non-member: $50
Bundle Your Courses To Save More!
When you bundle your 2019 courses together and purchase two at the same time, you will save 10% on the total purchase, allowing you get to more learning opportunities and education for less!
Ethical, Legal and Social Challenges with Genetic Testing and Update on Common Conditions: Epilepsy, Diabetes, Autism, Alzheimer's Disease
Genetic Counselor CEUs: This event has been submitted to the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) for approval of Category 1 CEUs. The American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) accepts CEUs approved by NSGC for purposes of recertification. Approval for the requested CEUs and Contact Hours is currently pending.