Cardiovascular Genetics SIG
The Cardiovascular SIG is dedicated to uniting and addressing the needs of genetic counselors working in cardiology as the field rapidly expands. Our goals include: establishing relationships with cardiologists and allied professionals, production and support of original research, providing educational opportunities for both the public and medical professionals, and increasing patient access to cardiovascular genetic counseling services. This special interest group was created in 2004 to unite genetic counselors working in cardiovascular disease. This SIG is currently maintained by members of NSGC whose work focuses on provide genetic counseling for cardiovascular disease in the areas of direct patient care, or are involved in research, laboratory testing, and advocacy. Genetic counselors who specialize in cardiovascular disease have developed skills specific to the management of and counseling for cardiovascular disorders.
- Access to the active and useful listserv (email) discussion group regarding the latest inherited cardiovascular risk topics.
- Involvement in the creation and access to materials developed through SIG projects. Previous projects have included in the Cardio Referral Pocket Guide and development of disease-specific note and letter templates.
- Invitation to participate in yearly webinar series on relevant topics in cardiovascular genetics (Category 1 CEU credits available).
- Access to CV SIG Amazon Book Library.
- Opportunities for networking and leadership.
Current Members: Access the Cardiovascular Genetics SIG community (including the Cardiovascular Genetics SIG Discussion Forum and SIG Documents)
Join Now: To add this SIG to your NSGC membership, please visit
Review SIG grant award opportunities.