policy & Publications
State Licensure for Genetic Counselors
Many genetic counselors who have successfully obtained licensure in their states continue to work with the GR team and Licensure Subcommittee to provide support and expertise to other genetic counselors pursuing licensure in their states.
Licensure Resource Repository
To help support potential, new, and ongoing efforts, the Licensure Subcommittee has developed a series of Resource documents that are available upon request as well as below.
- NSGC's Guiding Principles for State Licensure: NSGC approved Licensure Guiding Principles to provide national guidance to genetic counselors seeking licensure in their respective states. NSGC will formally support efforts in states that pursue legislation that align with these principles and encourages members to take advantage of the Society's experienced lobbyists.
- Model Legislative Provisions: This model provides an outline for how licensure legislation should be structured to achieve optimal results; The model language ensures uniformity among the nation’s genetic counselors so that laws regulating the practice of genetic counseling are widely applied. Uniformity may provide greater flexibility between states regarding genetic counselor practice, and most importantly, ensure the highest quality services. Although the actual structure of legislation may vary among states, the essence of the legislation should be as uniform as possible.
Licensure Resources Available Upon Request (The Email Subject Line Should Read: "State Licensure Resource Request."
- Genetic Counselor Licensure Overview: This resource provides a process and strategic overview for organizing, developing, and pursuing licensure in your state.
- Genetic Counselor Licensure White Paper: This template will help you to educate policymakers and potential supporters about genetic counseling and the benefits of genetic counselor licensure in your state.
- Genetic Counselor Licensure Letters of Support (Individual & Organization): These templates will help individuals and organizations that support your effort speak to your cause.
- Genetic Counselor Licensure Testimony: Individuals who agree to testify on behalf of your bill may base their testimony on this template.
- Genetic Counselor Cases of Harm Reference: This document provides information on the cases of harms that have occurred when certified and non-certified genetic counselors practice.
- Genetic Counselor Cases of Harm Talking Points: This document includes specific talking points to address cases of harm.
- Model Sunrise Application: States often use a Sunrise process to assess the necessity and impact of proposals for new and increased occupational regulation. Sunrise applications are usually a series of questions that help the legislative body evaluate the need for an occupation's request for increased regulation.
- Genetic Counselor Licensure Guide to Hiring a Lobbyist: This resource will help you determine whether your state effort should hire a lobbyist and the points that you should consider when identifying and hiring a lobbyist.
- State Licensure Contacts: Many genetic counselors who have successfully achieved licensure in their states are on hand as resources for advice and support.
- State Licensure Application Resource: A compilation of each state's licensure application requirements, including contact information, forms, and associated fees. Information about licensure renewal and license verification is also included. Please contact us with any corrections or updates to the information in this document.
- State Genetic Counselor Licensure Fee List: This document lists all states' genetic counselor licensure application fees.
If you are interested in pursuing licensure in your state, please contact John Richardson: email@example.com to learn more about the process, as well as additional resources available to you.