A Bigger Piece of the Pie: Advocating for Additional Resources for Your Service
Title: A Bigger Piece of the Pie: Advocating for Additional Resources for Your Service (Recorded Webinar)
CEUs: 1.50 Contact Hours or 0.15 CEUs
Price: $49 Member/ $79 Non-Member (Included in NSGC Business Foundations for Genetic Counselors online courses)
"I hear a lot of discussion in the field about the importance of being proactive and advocating for resources. This webinar actually provided concrete, actionable suggestions for doing just that."
- Kimberly Banks, MS, CGC, MBA, Director of Genetic Specialists, Ambry Genetics
- Michelle Jackson, MS, CGC, Clinical Cancer Genetics and Breast Medical Oncology, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Linda Robinson, Assistant Director, Cancer Genetics, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Holly Zimmerman, MS, CGC, Genetic Counselor/Instructor, University of Mississippi Medical Center
The purpose of this session is to demonstrate ways to advocate for genetic counselors and genetic counseling services. The panel will review the following resources: justification for positions, appropriate salary structures, administrative support, and counseling aids. The panel will cover a variety of topics including: Starting the conversation- Who to talk to about increasing resources and how to discuss this topic, Analyzing what resources are available to help you and how to use them effectively, understanding the metrics used in resource allocation within a health system, data collection- How and what data to collect to promote your value?, and career ladder creation and implementation. The presentation will also list resources available through NSGC to assist genetic counselors. This session will provide practical knowledge and applications that participants can use immediately to demonstrate their value, become recognized as necessary patient care providers, and gain support for Genetic Counselor services.
- Address the importance of demonstrating genetic counselor value and discuss how to negotiate for institutional resources with both clinicians and administrators.
- Demonstrate and analyze various options on how to show significance of genetic counselor services while asking for support using data, marketing resources, and concrete documentation.
- Examine available resources and tools that can be used in advocating for more institutional support and explore real-life experiences from other genetic counselors.
"I just finished writing my own GC job description. After almost 19 years under a nonspecific job classification, I am on the verge of 'officially' being a GC! I used many of the techniques discussed to promote my value, the PSS for salary, and all of my job duties."
To receive continuing education for this webinar, each registrant must:
- Purchase the webinar at www.nsgc.org or enroll in the Business Foundations for Genetic Counselors Online Course.
- Participate in the entire webinar presentation.
- Complete the activity follow-up evaluation.
- Download the CEU certificate of completion within NSGC’s online learning site.
Registrants will be given access to NSGC’s online learning site in order to access the post-webinar recording quiz, evaluation, and to download their subsequent CEU certificate of completion.
The National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) has authorized NSGC to offer up to 0.15 CEUs or 1.50 contact hours (Category 1) for the Business Foundations for Genetic Counselors webinar: A Bigger Piece of the Pie: Advocating for additional resources for your service. The American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) will accept CEUs earned at this program for the purposes of certification and recertification.
Purchase access to the individual webinar below:
Purchase access to the full Business Foundations Series (including access to all Business Foundations Webinars):