Thank you to everyone who shared in the inaugural Genetic Counselor Awareness Day! Your participation contributed to the wide success of the day. We are already looking forward to next year's event that will take place Thursday, November 8, 2018. Mark your calendars!
Genetic Counselor Awareness Day is dedicated to empowering genetic counselors to help raise awareness and interest about genetic counselors in your communities and institutions, and to help consumers understand the important and supportive role genetic counselors can play in their healthcare.
Take Time for Professional Development
Invest in your own professional development to keep your skills sharp so you stay at the leading edge of the changes occurring in genetics, genetic
Thursday, November 9,
Blazing the Trail: Why Genetic Counselors Must Lead the Genomics Revolution
Speaker: Ellen T. Matloff, MS,
Spread the Word
Use the following customizable communication tools and resources in order to promote Genetic Counselor Awareness Day.
- Social Media Campaign: Create your own social media posts or download and share NSGC's sample posts and social media graphics and join our or join our Thunderclap to celebrate and spread the word about Genetic Counselor Awareness Day. Use the hashtag #IAmaGeneticCounselor so others can easily follow your activity.
- Twitter Chat: Connect with your fellow genetic counselors and help us spread awareness about the profession during a Twitter chat hosted by @GeneticCouns on November
9 2017at 7:00 pm Central Time. Use the hashtag #IAmAGeneticCounselor to participate and share your story.
- "I Am a Genetic Counselor" Video: Share the video below to highlight the many roles of genetic counselors play in healthcare.
- News Release: Use this news release to explain how genetic counselors support patients and healthcare providers while dispelling some common myths about genetic counselors and genetic counseling.
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Flyer: Post one of these flyers at your institution to help spread the word about this important day and the work you do within your institution:
- PowerPoint Presentation Sample: Download this template presentation and use it in part or in whole, or customize it for your own use. Information includes what to expect when meeting with a genetic counselor, genetic counseling as a career and when to refer to a genetic counselor.
- Looking for a blank PowerPoint template? Use this template to create your own presentation (available in two sizes: 4x3 and 16x9).
- High School Lesson Plan: Access this lesson plan developed by the ASHG and the Geneticist-Educator Network of Alliances (GENA) that places students in the role of genetic counselors as they work through a bioinformatics lesson. You can use this as the basis for a presentation to high school (or advanced middle school) students, or provide this to a teacher to use to highlight genetic counseling as a career choice.
Ways to Celebrate
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Temporary Tattoos: Sport temporary tattoos that have the Genetic Counselor Awareness Day logo as well as tattoos that say #IAmAGeneticCounselor. Contact the NSGC Executive Office to place a free order (while supplies last).
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Buttons: Download an image of the Genetic Counselor Awareness Day logo to create buttons or pins for you and your colleagues.
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Wear: Order t-shirts, hoodies and tank tops designed by NSGC volunteers for you and your team.