We invite you to join NSGC in celebrating the second annual Genetic Counselor Awareness Day, which will take place on November 8, 2018!
Genetic Counselor Awareness Day is dedicated to empowering genetic counselors to help raise awareness and interest about genetic counselors in your communities and institutions, and to help consumers understand the important and supportive role genetic counselors can play in their healthcare.
Spread the Word!
Use the following customized communication tools and resources in order to promote Genetic Counselor Awareness Day.
- "I Am a Genetic Counselor" Video: Share the video below to highlight the many roles of genetic counselors play in healthcare.
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Flyer: Post one of these flyers at your institution to help spread the word about this important day and the work you do within your institution:
- Support Letter: Download this template letter and use it to request your employer's support of Genetic Counselor Awareness Day.
- Template News Release: Download and share this template news release with your public relations team to use with local media.
- PowerPoint Presentation Sample: Download this template presentation and use it in part or in whole, or customize it for your own use. Information includes what to expect when meeting with a genetic counselor, genetic counseling as a career and when to refer to a genetic counselor.
- Looking for a blank PowerPoint template? Use this template to create your own presentation (available in two sizes: 4x3 and 16x9).
- High School Lesson Plan: Access this lesson plan developed by the ASHG and the Geneticist-Educator Network of Alliances (GENA) that places students in the role of genetic counselors as they work through a bioinformatics lesson. You can use this as the basis for a presentation to high school (or advanced middle school) students, or provide this to a teacher to use to highlight genetic counseling as a career choice.
Take Time for Professional Development
Invest in your own professional development to keep your skills sharp so you stay at the leading edge of the changes occurring in genetics, genetic
Blazing the Trail: Why Genetic Counselors Must Lead the Genomics Revolution
Speaker: Ellen T. Matloff, MS,
- Objective 1: Explain the speakers' career trajectory and the successes, failures and challenges she has faced as a genetic counselor.
- Objective 2: Discuss how genetic counselors must position themselves and our field as leaders, in order for our profession to move forward.
- Objective 3: Examine why genetic counselors must lead the genomics revolution, and how genetic counselors can and must do so.