Genetic Counselor Awareness Day is dedicated to empowering genetic counselors to help raise awareness and interest about genetic counselors in your communities and institutions, and to help consumers understand the important and supportive role genetic counselors can play in their healthcare.
Looking for some guidance on how to spend Genetic Counselor Awareness Day with NSGC? We've put together an example schedule, below:
Update Your Facebook Profile Picture using the special Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Facebook frame.
- 9:00 AM CT - Join NSGC’s Facebook Live with NSGC President Gillian Hooker to kick-start Genetic Counselor Awareness Day 2020.
- 9:00 AM CT - Head over to NSGC's Twitter and test your genetic counseling and professional society knowledge during our day-long trivia competition. Check back every other hour for a new question.
- Post a Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Flyer at your institution and spread the word about this important day.
- 12:00 PM CT – Join NSGC for our Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Webinar.
- 2:00 PM CT – Reach out to your local media to spread the word about genetic counseling using these customizable media pitches.
- 5:00 PM CT – Unwind from your day by downloading the newest episode of the NSGC Podcast Series
Spread the Word!
Use the following customized communication tools and resources in order to promote Genetic Counselor Awareness Day.
- "I Am a Genetic Counselor" Video: Share the video below to highlight the many roles of genetic counselors play in healthcare.
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Flyer: Post one of these flyers at your institution to help spread the word about this important day and the work you do within your institution:
- Support Letter: Download this template letter and use it to request your employer's support of Genetic Counselor Awareness Day.
- Zoom Background: Help promote Genetic Counselor Awareness Day by downloading this Zoom background.
We had our designer create a Zoom background for GC Awareness Day. Can you add it to the website with the following disclaimer: When uploading the Zoom background make sure to unclick “Mirror my video” otherwise the image will appear mirrored for you. Please visit the Zoom website for instructions.
Media and Social Media Toolkit: This is your chance to reach out to media and your social media network to spread the word about local genetic counselors and the profession’s role in healthcare. To assist you, NSGC has developed a comprehensive toolkit with the following materials and instructions. Please note, NSGC will continue to add resources to the toolkit:
- Letter to the Editor and Op-Ed Tips: Letters to the Editor and Op-Eds are an effective way to offer a genetic counselor’s unique perspective on healthcare. Review NSGC’s tips to increase the chances of getting your piece published.
- Genetic Counseling Key Messages and Interview Tips: Ahead of media interviews, use our suggested key messages and preparation guide so you are sure to get across your most important points.
- Pitches to Media Contacts: Use these sample pitches as a guide, and email local media if you wish to offer yourself for interviews.
- Sample Social Media Posts
- Social Media Graphics
- Email Signature Graphics
- PowerPoint Presentation Sample: Use this downloadable presentation and use it in part or in whole, or customize it for your own use. It includes slides on what to expect when meeting with a genetic counselor (for a consumer audience), genetic counseling as a career (for a prospective student audience) and when to refer to a genetic counselor (for a healthcare provider/physician audience)
Other Ways to Celebrate
- Host a virtual happy hour with your genetic counseling colleagues as a way to celebrate the profession and connect.
- Give a virtual presentation to colleagues or students about genetic counseling
- Create DNA baked goods and share your creations on social media using the hashtag #IAmAGeneticCounselor. Have a competitive spirit? Turn it into a competition to see who can create the best DNA baked goods.
- Share a genetic counseling haiku on Twitter. Don't forget to use the hashtag!
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Custom Items:
- Order a shirt designed by NSGC Member Dena Goldberg: US Version | Canadian Version
- Shop additional DNA themed goods from DenaDNAStore on Etsy
- Use our Genetic Counselor Awareness Day logo to place an order for custom items.
- Consider a temporary tattoo, wristbands, pins or t-shirts
- 24 Hour Wristbands is one of a number of online resources for ordering custom items.
Take Time for Professional Development
Invest in your own professional development to keep your skills sharp so you stay at the leading edge of the changes occurring in genetics, genetic counseling
Genetic Counselor Awareness Day 2020 Webinar
Join NSGC on November 12, 2020 at 12:00pm CT for a webinar to celebrate Genetic Counselor Awareness Day.
Genetic Counselor Awareness Day 2019 Webinar Recording
A Conversation with Genetic Counselors in Leadership Roles
Genetic Counselor Awareness Day 2018 Webinar Recording
Building Communities in Genetic Counseling: Connecting with Others to Move Your Practice Forward