NSGC Online Education
Do you need to earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?
All of the opportunities below have been approved for Category 1 CEUs by the National Society of Genetic Counselors. CEUs earned through these opportunities will be accepted by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) for purposes of Genetic Counselor recertification.
Advantages of Online Education While online learning can never replace offerings at the NSGC Annual Education Conference (AEC), it does have numerous benefits including:
- Convenience; Participants can listen to presentations on their own schedule, any time of day.
- Increased information retention – Since each of us learn at our own time and pace, the amount of information retained from the presentation is often greater.
- Lower overall cost – Since there is no instructor or travel involved, the cost of online education is substantially less than learning similar material in a traditional setting.
Accessing Online Courses
Need to access online courses that you have already purchased? Please login to the NSGC website and visit the Online Learning Portal here.
NSGC Online Educational Opportunities
Please click on the programs listed below to be taken to specific information about the program. Prior to purchasing the online educational programs, please view the system requirements FAQs.
Please note: availability date indicates the last date that CEUs may be earned for the program.
*CEUs for the Common Disease in the Family course expired on 6/26/2016.
*CEUs for the Why Choose Just One Gene course expired on 6/4/2016.
NSGC members, login to receive special discounted pricing when you add products to your cart.
The 2014 NSGC Online Course: Incorporating Technology Into Genetic Counseling Practice is now available for purchase! This online course is designed to assist genetic counselors in maximizing technology in their clinical practice. Lectures will cover a variety of topics including telegenetics, test selection, social media, patient outcome measurement and the electronic health record.
- Describe benefits and challenges associated with implementing telemedicine for genetic counseling.
- Evaluate available technology to aid in test selection and interpretation.
- Implement technology in practice in order to identify new patients for referral and more efficiently prepare for new patient visits.
This course is available for CEUs until 5/31/2018.
After participating in Career Advancement and Professional Development: Finding, Creating, and Cultivating Opportunities online sessions, attendees will be able to:
- Assess whether their current position is effectively aligned with their long term career goals and objectives.
- Identify their personal strengths in the field of genetic counseling and opportunities for both personal and professional growth and development within the field.
- Examine opportunities to enhance their genetic counseling career via involvement in mentorship, research, and genetic counseling training programs, and other opportunities.
Available for CEUs until 05/18/2019
Annual Education Conference (AEC) Recordings
2015 AEC and Pre-Conference Symposia Recording Available for CEUs until 1/29/2018
2014 AEC and Pre-Conference Symposia Recordings Available for CEUs until 1/22/2017
What Do You Know about Familial Hypercholesterolemia?
A Multidisciplinary Approach to Limb-Girdle Muscle Weakness & Related Conditions
Online Course Activity
Available for CEUs until 4/1/2017
Available for CEUs until 2/2/2018
Jane Engelberg Memorial Fellowship (JEMF) Sponsored Education
Genetic Counseling Cultural Competence Toolkit Cases
Available for CEUs until 02/01/2017 JEMF Online Grant Writing Course Not CEU eligible
JEMF Master Genetic Counselor Series
A resource for use in peer supervision groups and individually to promote a reflective practice.