NSGC Online Education
Do you need to earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?
All of the opportunities below have been approved for Category 1 CEUs by the National Society of Genetic Counselors. CEUs earned through these opportunities will be accepted by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) for purposes of Genetic Counselor recertification.
Advantages of Online Education While online learning can never replace offerings at the NSGC Annual Education Conference (AEC), it does have numerous benefits including:
- Convenience; Participants can listen to presentations on their own schedule, any time of day.
- Increased information retention – Since each of us learn at our own time and pace, the amount of information retained from the presentation is often greater.
- Lower overall cost – Since there is no instructor or travel involved, the cost of online education is substantially less than learning similar material in a traditional setting.
Accessing Online Courses
Need to access online courses that you have already purchased? Please login to the NSGC website and visit the Online Learning Portal here.
NSGC Online Educational Opportunities
Please click on the programs listed below to be taken to specific information about the program. Prior to purchasing the online educational programs, please view the system requirements FAQs.
Please note: availability date indicates the last date that CEUs may be earned for the program.
*CEUs for the Common Disease in the Family course expired on 6/26/2016.
*CEUs for the Why Choose Just One Gene course expired on 6/4/2016.
NSGC members, login to receive special discounted pricing when you add products to your cart.
Build the foundation for your success now. With the help of NSGC’s new series, you can succeed in today’s healthcare environment.
Purchase the package to maximize your access to the Business Foundations online course materials. The package includes:
- Access to all of the Billing and Coding (up to 2.25 Contact Hours)
- Access to all Insurance and Credentialing course modules (up to 3.0 Contact Hours)
- Downloadable quick reference guide and glossary of insurance terms and access to the NSGC Model credentialing policy
- Free access to three recorded webinars providing updates and in-depth information on public and private payers (a total of 4.5 additional contact hours).
- Exclusive access to an online discussion forum, where you can discuss course concepts with other colleagues and get answers to your questions.
Please note: This course is eligible for a total of 9.75 Contact Hours.
Title: Emerging Issues in Billing for Genetic Services: Telegenetics, the Affordable Care Act, and Supervision Requirements
Speakers: Becky Butler, MSSW, ACSW, LCSW and John Richardson
Sponsored by the NSGC Payer Subcommittee
CEUs: 1.50 Contact Hours or 0.15 CEUs
Price: $49 Member/ $79 Non-Member (Included in NSGC Business Foundations for Genetic Counselors online courses)
This recorded webinar provides an update and review on key billing and coding issues that genetic counselors face for telemedicine, incident to billing, and billing with facility fees. In addition, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the impact on the genetic counseling profession will be discussed.
- Explain regulation, billing, and reimbursement issues for telehealth in genetic counseling
- Review commonly accepted definitions and practices for "incident to billing under physician supervision"
- Define the use of facility fees
- Describe emerging issues related to the Affordable Care Act and potential implications for genetic counselors
Title: Business Foundations for Genetic Counselors: A Bigger Piece of the Pie: Advocating for additional resources for your service
CEU: 1.50 Contact Hours of 0.15 CEUs
The purpose of this recorded webinar is to demonstrate ways to advocate for genetic counselors and genetic counseling services.
- Address the importance of demonstrating genetic counselor value and discuss how to negotiate for institutional resources with both clinicians and administrators.
- Demonstrate and analyze various options on how to show significance of genetic counselor services while asking for support using data, marketing resources, and concrete documentation.
- Examine available resources and tools that can be used in advocating for more institutional support and explore real-life experiences from other genetic counselors.
Title: Business Foundations for Genetic Counselors Webinar: Strategies for Payer Negotiation: Improve Your Practice Revenue
Presenter: Joan Kegerize, MS JD CPC
CEUs: 1.50 Contact Hours of 0.15 CEUs
Price: $49 Member/ $79 Non-Member
- Outline key factors that enable genetic counselors to navigate reimbursement and payer contracts.
- Establish the necessary steps for getting organized for successful payer contracting negotiations.
- Discuss strategies to begin dialogue with your institution.
- Develop strategies to monitor your success once the contract is in effect.
- Includes a series of online, on-demand modules covering information regarding insurance coverage for genetic counseling services and the credentialing process for genetic counselors.
- Provides access to downloadable resource materials including a quick reference guide, a glossary of insurance and credentialing terms, and a model policy for credentialing genetic counselors.
- Includes access to an exclusive discussion forum for course participants to pose questions and discuss issues related to insurance and credentialing.
- Includes free access to three recorded webinars in which genetic counselors and insurance and credentialing professionals share practical information for obtaining coverage for genetic counseling, tips for becoming credentialed, and updates on genetic counselor service delivery that occur this year. Webinars are archived for on-demand or repeat viewing by course participants.
- Includes didactic, self-paced, online modules covering information about coding and billing for genetic counselors.
- Provides free access to three recorded webinars that offer new information and updates. Webinars are archived for on-demand or repeat viewing by course participants.
- Includes access to downloadable resource materials including a quick reference guide, and a glossary of billing and coding terms.
- Includes exclusive access to the Billing and Coding Course Discussion Forum where a coding and billing expert will answer your questions. All questions will be documented and archived in a database for subscribers.
The 2014 NSGC Online Course: Incorporating Technology Into Genetic Counseling Practice is now available for purchase! This online course is designed to assist genetic counselors in maximizing technology in their clinical practice. Lectures will cover a variety of topics including telegenetics, test selection, social media, patient outcome measurement and the electronic health record.
- Describe benefits and challenges associated with implementing telemedicine for genetic counseling.
- Evaluate available technology to aid in test selection and interpretation.
- Implement technology in practice in order to identify new patients for referral and more efficiently prepare for new patient visits.
This course is available for CEUs until 5/31/2018.
After participating in Career Advancement and Professional Development: Finding, Creating, and Cultivating Opportunities online sessions, attendees will be able to:
- Assess whether their current position is effectively aligned with their long term career goals and objectives.
- Identify their personal strengths in the field of genetic counseling and opportunities for both personal and professional growth and development within the field.
- Examine opportunities to enhance their genetic counseling career via involvement in mentorship, research, and genetic counseling training programs, and other opportunities.
Available for CEUs until 05/13/2017
Annual Education Conference (AEC) Recordings
2015 AEC and Pre-Conference Symposia Recording Available for CEUs until 1/29/2018
2014 AEC and Pre-Conference Symposia Recordings Available for CEUs until 1/22/2017
What Do You Know about Familial Hypercholesterolemia?
A Multidisciplinary Approach to Limb-Girdle Muscle Weakness & Related Conditions
Online Course Activity
Available for CEUs until 4/1/2017
Available for CEUs until 2/2/2018
Jane Engelberg Memorial Fellowship (JEMF) Sponsored Education
Genetic Counseling Cultural Competence Toolkit Cases
Available for CEUs until 02/01/2017 JEMF Online Grant Writing Course Not CEU eligible
JEMF Master Genetic Counselor Series
A resource for use in peer supervision groups and individually to promote a reflective practice.