Student/New Member SIG
To create a positive and approachable environment in which students and new genetic counselors can get involved with their professional society early in their careers; to facilitate communication, mentorship, and collaboration within our membership and between other SIGs and Committees; to allow our members to participate in or lead projects in line with their personal interests via five task forces; to promote continuous growth of our members’ professional network and relationships.
- Education/Certification Task Force: engages current genetic counseling students, organizes bi-annual boards study groups with support through the study period, creates educational resources for students and new graduates, and connects new graduates in cities through “ambassadors” who coordinate activities in the area
- Outreach Task Force: works to increase awareness of the field across the nation, creates a handbook for launching and sustaining genetic counseling student interest groups on college campuses, participates in outreach activities directed towards the general population, high school students, and college campuses including guidance counselors, professors and students
- Prospective Students Task Force: provides FAQ sheets for application requirements and deadlines, maintains a calendar of important dates for each genetic counseling program, and composes quarterly newsletters about the genetic counseling profession while highlighting a “hot topic” in genetics and a “day in the life” of a practicing genetic counselor
- Resources Task Force: maintains a resource library to assist with clinical practice, surveys NSGC members regarding tools and resources used for their practice, and collaborates with SIG members to create a one page monthly “pop culture update” with recent genetic/genetic counseling showcases
- Additional benefits: Scholarship opportunities (Travel grant to the Annual Conference and a 1-year membership to NSGC), monthly peer supervision group calls to discuss challenging cases or professional issues, and a built-in community of over 100 members
Current Members: Access the Student/New Member SIG community (including the Student/New Member Discussion Forum and SIG Documents) here.
Join Now: To add this SIG to your NSGC membership, please visit your member profile. From the Actions tab, select the "Add Membership Package" option and select the SIG you would like to join. You will then be able to pay online or print an invoice to mail with a check.