View the 2019 - 2021 Strategic Plan
Growth and Sustainability
Promote the growth and sustainability of the genetic counseling profession.
- Positively influence reimbursement for genetic counselor services.
- Educate stakeholders about the role of genetic counselors in delivering optimal patient outcomes.
- Support standards and policy that promotes access to high-quality genetic counselor services
- Increase the awareness and engagement of members, policymakers and external stakeholders around the Access to Genetic Counselor Services Act to strengthen support and increase momentum for passage of the proposed legislation.
- Develop and refine a strategy for engaging health systems to advocate to payers for increased coverage and access to genetic counselor services.
- Provide resources and support to expand state licensure for genetic counselors and to help genetic counselors obtain individual licensure.
Justice Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Develop, implement and operationalize a sustainable organizational structure and culture that supports justice, equity, diversity and inclusion within NSGC
- Operationalize structures, policies, and practices that support an organizational culture of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion within NSGC.
- Establish and support a culture of accountability around justice, equity, diversity and inclusion within the profession.
- Engage, retain and support a greater percentage of diverse identities within the genetic counseling profession.
- Develop and initiate implementation of NSGC’s organizational J.E.D.I. action plan.
- Establish and implement metrics for evaluation of efforts to increase justice, equity, diversity and inclusion within the organization over time.
- Work with genetic counseling partner organizations to ensure J.E.D.I. is woven throughout the profession.
- Work with our genetic counseling and genetics partner organizations to recruit and retain diversity into the profession.
Fostering Professional Excellence
Create opportunities for professional growth for members and build their capacity to lead both within NSGC and in their professional environments.
- Serve as the professional hub for genetic counseling education and best practices that support the delivery of quality care in diverse practice settings.
- Be the center of thought leadership, research, and innovation in genetic counseling.
- Support and augment a robust and diverse pipeline of aspiring association leaders who are qualified, motivated, and representative of the membership.
- Publish practice guidelines and resources and establish standards that support genetic counselors serving at the top of their practice.
- Develop policy statements that advance the standing of the genetic counseling profession, support integration of genetics throughout healthcare and promote competent, equitable care.
- Provide, and continually evaluate a robust, accessible education portfolio that addresses the breadth of needs of genetic counselors in various settings.
- Support and foster avenues for synthesis of genetic counseling research to increase the evidence base for genetic counselor services.
- Build an inclusive, supportive network and resources to support genetic counselors in attaining career advancement, professional recognition and career fulfillment.
Empowering Our Communities
Build communities of collaboration, cohesion, and impact that reach across the organization and beyond to foster a culture of belonging and trust
- Enhance the experience, engagement, satisfaction, and sense of belonging within NSGC, specifically supporting those who have been marginalized in the past.
- Deepen priority partnerships with genetics and genetic counseling organizations, to elevate the genetic counselor voice and influence the equitable delivery of genetic services.
- Improve existing and create new spaces within NSGC for communication, connection, and dialogue, with particular focus on engaging communities that have noted feeling least supported.
- Highlight and celebrate the contributions of genetic counselors from underrepresented communities, and celebrate the value our diverse members bring to our shared profession.
- Foster and fund research and evaluation of disparities in access to genetic counselors, to understand how genetic counselors can work to reduce genetic health disparities.
- Collaborate strategically with industry, healthcare professional and community partner organizations to achieve shared strategic goals, such as increasing diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the genetics community and delivering culturally humble, equitable care.