Genetic Counselor Awareness Day is typically hosted on the second Thursday in November each year. In 2021, due to other date conflicts, GC Awareness Day will be held on November 4, 2021. It is dedicated to empowering genetic counselors to help raise awareness and interest about genetic counselors in your communities and institutions, and to help consumers understand the important and supportive role genetic counselors can play as part of their healthcare team.
Save the Date
Save the date for this year's Genetic Counselor Awareness Day, which will take place on Thursday, November 4, 2021.
This Year's Activities and Resources
Check out this year's Genetic Counselor Awareness Day activites and resources below.
2021 Activity Schedule
- Begin your celebrations early by reaching out to your local media on Wednesday, October 27, 2021 to spread the word about genetic counseling using these customizable media pitches.
- Update your Facebook profile picture using the special Genetic Counselor Awareness Day Facebook frame.
- 9:00 AM CT - Join NSGC President Sara Riordan on NSGC’s Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter profiles for a live stream to kick-start Genetic Counselor Awareness Day 2021.
- 9:00 AM CT - Follow up with your local media to spread the word about genetic counseling using the provided customizable media pitches.
- 10:00 AM CT - Head over to NSGC's Twitter and test your genetic counseling and professional society knowledge during our day-long trivia competition. Check back every other hour for a new question.
- Post a Genetic Counselor Awareness Day flyer at your institution and spread the word about this important day.
- 12:00 PM CT – Join NSGC for our Genetic Counselor Awareness Day webinar.
- 5:00 PM CT – Check out an organization in your area that you are interested in getting involved in and/or post a photo of your best genetics-related costume on Twitter for a chance to win $50 off a product in NSGC's Online Education Center.
- Genetic Counselor Awareness Day flyers: Post one of these flyers at your institution to help spread the word about this important day and the work you do within your institution.
- Support letter: Download this template letter and use it to request your employer's support of Genetic Counselor Awareness Day.
- Zoom background: Help promote Genetic Counselor Awareness Day by downloading this Zoom background.
- Media toolkit: This is your chance to reach out to media and your social media network to spread the word about local genetic counselors and the profession’s role in healthcare.
- PowerPoint presentation sample: Use this downloadable presentationand use it in part or in whole, or customize it for your own use. It includes slides on what to expect when meeting with a genetic counselor (for a consumer audience), genetic counseling as a career (for a prospective student audience) and when to refer to a genetic counselor (for a healthcare provider/physician audience)