NSGC offers the member webinar series as a free member benefit, with timely year-round education on issues impacting our profession. From telemedicine to genetic engineering, these webinars keep you apprised of how the latest trends in healthcare may affect you.
If you have any questions about the NSGC Member Webinar Series, please feel free to contact NSGC Webinar Subcommittee members, Shrutika Yeola or Jess Greenwood.
2021 Webinar Series
NSGC anticipates hosting seven webinars in 2021, the specific date and time of each will be released as the content is determined. Please continue to check back in on this page to find the most up to date information.
The Only Constant is Change: An Overview of the Evolution of Genetic Counseling Training in North America
October 13, 2021, 1:00 pm ET/12:00 pm CT/11:00 am MT/10:00 am PT
Register for the October webinar, taking place on Wednesday, October 13 at 12:00 pm CT. This webinar will focus on the landscape of genetic counseling graduate education in North America and the basics of the Genetic Counseling Admissions Match. In addition, it will describe ways in which ACGC accreditation standards have evolved and focus on one region's adaptations to genetic counseling training in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Describe the landscape of genetic counseling graduate education in North America.
- Explain the basics of the Genetic Counseling Admissions Match.
- Identify three ways in which the Standards of Accreditation for Graduate Programs in Genetic Counseling have evolved in the last decade.
- Discuss one region’s adaptations to genetic counseling training in response to the covid-19 pandemic.
Speakers: Dawn Allain, Amanda Bergner
2021 Past Webinars
Beyond the Binary: Gender Diversity in Genetic Counseling
Live Webinar Date: Tuesday, June 22, 1:00 pm EDT/12:00 pm CDT/11:00 am MDT/10:00 am PDT
- Kim Zayhowski (she/her), MS, CGC, Boston Medical Center and Boston University’s Genetic Counseling Program
- Tala Berro (she/they), MS, CGC, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Explain terminology related to sex and gender.
- Provide strategies to increase gender inclusion in genetic counseling sessions.
- Highlight the need for gender inclusion within and beyond the genetic counseling field.
Climbing Ladders and Swinging Branches: Establishing Roots to Support Genetic Counselor Professional Advancement
- Kathleen Gewandter, MGC, CGC, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Dawn Laney, MS, CGC, CCRC, Emory Department of Human Genetics
- Kiley Johnson, MS, LCGC, GeneMatters
- Yiru C Zhao, PhD, MS, CGC, Genescreen
- Contrast innovative new approaches to career ladder development and adjustments amongst various settings, including academic, industry and clinical.
- Demonstrate what goes into the development of a career ladder.
- Discuss how to leverage the career ladder for your own professional benefit.
- Apply data compiled across multiple career paths to better understand the experiences of genetic counselors related to career progression.
Antiracism in Action: Genetic Counseling Trainee Platform for Racial Justice
- Gianna Petrelli
- Rushna Raza
- Smriti Singh
- Sofia Horan
- Melissa Gandhi
- Define the history, mission and organizational structure of Genetic Counseling Trainee Platform for Racial Justice (GCRJ)
- Discuss challenges, insights and successes in a community centered grassroots organization.
- Explore how genetic counselors can incorporate anti-racism into their work and considerations for teaching and supervision.
NSGC Member Webinar Series Archives
To view the library of past NSGC Member Webinar Series recordings, please click here.
Have an Idea for a Webinar Topic?
Do you have an idea for a webinar, online course, or other education for genetic counselors? Share your ideas with the NSGC Education Committee by submitting your idea here. The NSGC Education Committee reviews submissions on a monthly basis and follows up with submitters shortly thereafter. You will be contacted by an NSGC volunteer to follow up on your submission.