Exeter Group’s Organization DEI Assessment of NSGC
- We anticipate that parts of the report may be hard to read or triggering. This may cause a wide range of feelings and emotions to arise, including defensiveness. Please practice self-care and take breaks as you need. If you sense defensiveness in yourself, please question this and try not to provide feedback from a defensive place.
- The full Exeter Group report is 300+ pages. It includes quotes and summaries of the member/staff survey findings, focus groups and stakeholder interviews. It reviews NSGC documents, policies and procedures, then closes with recommendations for NSGC. It may take significant time to read the report in its entirety.
Links to Exeter Group Report
View Executive Summary
View Full Report
View a Recorded Presentation of the High-level Findings from the Exeter Group
Open Comment Period Feedback on the Exeter Group’s DEI Assessment
Resources Supporting Racial and Social Justice
Below are shared resources developed by NSGC, its members and other stakeholders related to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this list thus far. If there are additional resources you believe are valuable additions to this list, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books - click to view resources
Films and Documentaries - click to view resources
Series and Other Videos - click to view resources
Podcasts - click to view resources
Educational Websites, Articles and Series - click to view resources
Inclusivity Resources for Genetic Counseling Managers
Community Conversation Series Presented by Equity, Inclusion, and Implementation Subcommittee of NSGC Membership Committee
- Community Conversation #1: Genetic Counselors with Disabilities | View Recording
- Community Conversation #2: Bystander Intervention | No Recording Available
- Community Conversation #3: Empowering Our Queer Colleagues | View Recording
If you have any questions about the Community Conversation Series, please reach out to Brenda Zuniga and Liann Jimmons.
NSGC Online Course: The Formation of Implicit Biases and Practical Strategies to Address Them
- Module 1: Assessing personal bias or potential for biased behavior, presented by Ilana S Mittman, PhD, MS, CGC
- Module 2: The formation of bias and situational pressures, presented by Liza A. Talusan, PhD, CPC
- Module 3: Historical events, social environments and the perpetuation of societal power imbalances, presented by Lisa Werkmeister Rozas, Ph.D., LCSW
- Module 4: Bias in the US healthcare system and microaggressions, presented by Altovise T. Ewing, PhD, LCGC
- Module 5: Witnessing, experiencing or partaking in microagressions: Self-reflection and strategies, presented by LaShana Lewis
- Module 6: Guided meditation, presented by Nadine Channaoui, MS, CGC
NSGC members can also access the course online, for 3.91 CEUs, for a fee.
NSGC 2019 Platform Presentations: Conversations around Diversity
NSGC members can also earn CEU for completion of these sessions through purchase of the the NSGC 2019 conference recordings.